Historic Croydon Airport - Why it matters
London Croydon Airport was Britain’s first major international airport. It played a major role in the development of global air travel after World War One and has a significant place in early 20th century British history.
Some of the significant historic events and achievements at London Croydon Airport include:-
- departure point for many world record breaking flights (eg Amy Johnson, Bert Hinkler)
- birthplace of Air Traffic Control
- innovation of “Mayday” international distress call
- world’s first integrated airport terminal
- world’s first Air Traffic Control Tower
- establishment of Britain’s national airline, Imperial Airways
- Britain’s first intercontinental air routes across Europe, Asia and Australia
Significantly, the new airport introduced the world to two new types of specialised building:-
These two types of new building were the first built in the world and are instantly recognisable features of all modern airports. The buildings were significant as they embodied the key functions and processes needed in managing air passenger operations.